Monday, July 19, 2010

Made it out alive...barely

Hi Everyone,
We just got back from the jungle and are now in Sharan's apartment in Kuala Lumpur. What a trip. We left Friday at 8:30am by bus for a 3 hour ride; got to a big muddy river and took a long boat ride for 3 hours to our cabins. This was as much jungle as anyone could want. What an experience. We decided to give up the night jungle walk; were really tired after the bus/boat ride. The cabin was very, very modest but at least we were out of the way of mosquitos, bugs and other crawly things.
I will save all the details for my blog but I did have 1 slight mishap. We had to climb almost straight up a mountain with so much foliage you couldn't see the rocks to step on. It had rained a lot the night before so it was really slippery. After climbing for almost an hour and getting short of breath, I stopped and asked how much further to the top. After I heard it was another 1 - 1/2 trek staight up, I decided I couldn't keep going. We were all drenched from sweat and a younger couple and I decided to go back to the camp - I wasn't too proud to admit that I couldn't climb that much. We had 2 guides for 5 of us so they asked if I could walk back by myself - we are in serious jungle terrain and I wasn't sure where the trail was let alone the cobras, green viper, tiger, elephants, wild boar and monkeys were. So I said that I could not find my way back - which was the truth and I was scared about being by myself. So the guide behind me agreed to take me and these 2 young Spanish honeymooners back;. I was about half way down and slipped and fell down a few feet. The guide was really nice and determined that I didn't break my right leg,but boy does it hurt. I am guessing I sprained my ankle and knee when it was headed up the hill and I was down.

But I went back to camp and stretched out on my bed with a cold wash rag around it; When Sharan and the guide got back, I was better and went to the next tour, walking in the jungle some more and walking across 6 roped bridges. I also went on the white water rafting and walked around the swimming hole. THe whole trip was just amazing. We didn't see any of the wild animals I mentioned here, but were told they were out there. Our guide had a big bite out of his hand from a python he tried to pull off the road when it was stretched across the road. They had helicopters flying around yesterday for the beginning of shooting several of these jungle shows; not Lost, but something like that.

So I am ok; I came, I conquered or at least didn't surrender, and I am back in the big city safe and sound. That probably is something will check off my list and not do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment