Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thailand Academic World

I have finished my workshop on program planning and had about 15 students for 3 hours. I chose to compare program planning models and the audience responded very well. There was a mix of experienced students in training, HRD, religious and community education and those at the university. So my models and examples covered all of those experiences. I of course told them about my favorite program planning theory, the soggy potato chip theory. I am happy to tell any reader about it but just realize that I never serve potato chips at a program and you can probably figure it out. It was fun being back in the classroom again. Sharan and I talked about it afterwards and it is thrilling to see excitement from the students but we also realize that it takes a lot of work to prepare and it is much easier to get tired at our advanced ages! Ha!

My friend Gail Goblet sent a wonderful message today about measuring the amount of strength you are willing to expend for the activities you do and perhaps the advice of women from the past ages to be sure to save energy for your own self and take time to rest. It was quite moving in the way it was said and I will follow the advice tomorrow when we fly to Cambodia. We don't have any responsibility there and our tour includes lots of  things to see like the Cambodia Landmine Museum and Relief Center and the museum of the killing fields. I like the shopping at the market part too! We will go to Siem Reap for 4 days and 3 nights. So more stories to come with photos!

The city of Bangkok seems to be a gentle city. I have taken photos of the sunrise and sunset. There are rundown places of course, but there is a gentleness about the feel of the city. Perhaps it is the actions of the people who are mostly Buddhists. They seem to genuinely care for each other and there are no guns here, so you feel more at peace without the violence. We have gotten to know several Buddhist Monks in our classes and they are very gentle but well read and experienced men. One of the men talked to Sharan about her future through a fortune telling exercise. We understand that fortune telling is an accepted art here and the professors we asked about it said that by knowing what your future may be you can prepare for it but you can't change what is ordained. I am not sure how I feel about this, as one who is always trying to make things better. But it is an interesting theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment